The Air Force School (TAFS) was founded by the Late Air Chief Marshal Subroto Mukherjee, the Chief of Air
Staff. It was established in temporary wartime hutments at Wellingdon Camp, Club Road, New Delhi on 18th July 1955 with the aim of providing comprehensive modern education to the children of Officers and Airmen of the Indian Air Force. In May 1967, the school shifted to its present location in Aravalli Campus at Subroto Park, Delhi
Cantt. The School celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 1980 when the word "Central" was dropped from the name.
The Air Force School, Subroto Park, Delhi Cantt along with its sister Schools, Air Force Bal Bharati School, Lodhi Road, New Delhi and the Air Force Golden Jubilee Institute, Subroto Park, Delhi Cantt - 10 is run by the IAF Educational and Cultural Society.
Although the school was established primarily for the benefit of children belonging to IAF personnel, it has been always open to the wards of Army and Navy personnel as well as to the Civilians, thereby satisfying a long felt need of the Air Force and simultaneously providing quality education to a much wider spectrum of children.